Thursday, September 27, 2007

Indoctrinate U - Limitation of free speech in college?

A friend of mine sent a link to a video, http://indoctrinate-u.com/pages/welcome.html, documenting attacks on freedom of speech that have been taking place on college campuses across the nation. I haven't watched the video yet, but I have encountered other materials in the past about college administrations, and in some cases even student body councils, who infringe both freedom of speech and academic freedom with codes that limit expression on campuses. While technically, with the exception of state-run institutions, these abridgements of freedom are not attacks on the First Amendment because that only covers government actions, it is very troubling that the widespread use of these codes and other actions inhibit and intimidate students and professors from speaking their minds and engaging in free academic debate. It ranks as one of my oldest pet peeves about American society, ever since the days I used to vote Republican. Anyway, since I haven't watched the video because I didn't yet want to see that brand of sausage being made again, if you the reader watch it, comment here and let me know what you thought of it.

No comments: